Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Foods to Avoid that May Cause Arthritis
- Nightshade family foods: eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and potatoes.
- Mustard, caffeine, sodas, salty foods, very spicy foods and chocolate.
- High gluten foods that are also high in sugar, fat or cholesterol.
- Highly refined foods and meat and dairy products that are high in saturated fats.
Less pain and stiffness were reported by 46% of the patients and 36% reported reduced joint swelling. Similar beneficial effects of diet were also reported in other rheumatic disease groups. Fifteen percent of the patients with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis had been through a fasting period. Less pain and stiffness were reported by 2/3 of the patients in both groups and half of the patients in both groups reported a reduced number of swollen joints through diet therapy.
- Clin Rheumatol. 1991 Dec;10(4):401-7. - Diet and disease symptoms in rheumatic diseases--results of a questionnaire based survey. Haugen M, Kjeldsen-Kragh J, Nordvåg BY, Førre O.
There are now sufficient good scientific studies, from the UK and abroad, to suggest that, at least in some patients with rheumatoid arthritis, dietary therapy may influence at least the symptoms and possibly the progression of the disease.
- Br J Rheumatol. 1993 Jun;32(6):507-14. Review of dietary therapy for rheumatoid arthritis.Darlington LG, Ramsey NW.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this material to diagnose or treat a health condition or disease without consulting with your healthcare provider.
Click above for Service Agreement and Contact Information. Accessing this service binds you to terms stated. Advertisements appear throughout this website as a means of funding the site. This site is updated monthly and operates independently of any health associations or organizations. The owner of this site has no medical training and the information presented comes from government resources and health professionals in their respected fields.
Home Page: Personal Health Zone
|We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.|