Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
This study tried to find out whether nasal saline irrigation alleviated the symptoms and signs of allergic rhinitis and whether nasal saline irrigation could be used as a complementary management of allergic rhinitis in children while less steroids were used. Nasal saline irrigation can be viewed as a good adjunctive treatment option for of allergic rhinitis. It allowed the use of less topical steroids for controlling allergic rhinitis in children.
- ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2009;71(1):50-5. Epub 2008 Dec 1. Nasal saline irrigation facilitates control of allergic rhinitis by topical steroid in children.Li H, Sha Q, Zuo K, Jiang H, Cheng L, Shi J, Xu G.
Nasal irrigations performed with large volume and delivered with low positive pressure are more effective than saline sprays for treatment of chronic nasal and sinus symptoms in a community-based population.
- Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Nov;133(11):1115-20. Nasal saline for chronic sinonasal symptoms: a randomized controlled trial.Pynnonen MA, Mukerji SS, Kim HM, Adams ME, Terrell JE.
To test whether daily hypertonic saline nasal irrigation improves sinus symptoms and quality of life and decreases medication use in adult subjects with a history of sinusitis. Daily hypertonic saline nasal irrigation improves sinus-related quality of life, decreases symptoms, and decreases medication use in patients with frequent sinusitis. Primary care physicians can feel comfortable recommending this therapy.
- J Fam Pract. 2002 Dec;51(12):1049-55. Efficacy of daily hypertonic saline nasal irrigation among patients with sinusitis: a randomized controlled trial.Rabago D, Zgierska A, Mundt M, Barrett B, Bobula J, Maberry R.
The use of nasal irrigation for the treatment of nose and sinus complaints has its foundations in yogic and homeopathic traditions. There has been increasing use of saline irrigation, douches, sprays and rinsing as an adjunct to the medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis. Treatment strategies often include the use of topical saline from once to more than four times a day. Saline irrigations are well tolerated. Although minor side effects are common, the beneficial effect of saline appears to outweigh these drawbacks for the majority of patients. The use of topical saline could be included as a treatment adjunct for the symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis.
- Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jul 18;(3):CD006394. Nasal saline irrigations for the symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis.Harvey R, Hannan SA, Badia L, Scadding G.
Dead Sea Salt and Saline Solution Used in Irrigation
The purpose of this study was to compare nasal irrigation using hypertonic Dead Sea salt solution with hypertonic saline in the treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis and improvement of quality of life. Both groups had similar symptoms before treatment and had significant improvement after treatment. However, the dead sea salt patients had significantly better symptom relief and only the dead sea salt group showed improved Rhinoconjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionnaire scores. This study provides level I evidence on the superiority of dead sea salts over saline nasal irrigation for treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis.
- Laryngoscope. 2006 Jun;116(6):878-82. A randomized, prospective, double-blind study on the efficacy of dead sea salt nasal irrigations.Friedman M, Vidyasagar R, Joseph N.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this material to diagnose or treat a health condition or disease without consulting with your healthcare provider.
Click above for Service Agreement and Contact Information. Accessing this service binds you to terms stated. Advertisements appear throughout this website as a means of funding the site. This site is updated monthly and operates independently of any health associations or organizations. The owner of this site has no medical training and the information presented comes from government resources and health professionals in their respected fields.
Home Page: Personal Health Zone
|We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.|