Yucca schidigera Roezl. (Agavaceae) has been traditionally used to treat a variety of diseases including arthritis and rheumatism. The inhibitory activity on key enzymes observed in this study might contribute to the explanation of the anti-inflammatory and antiplatelet effects observed for Y. schidigera and its phenolic constituents.
– Influence of phenolic constituents from Yucca schidigera bark on arachidonate metabolism in vitro. — Wenzig EM, Oleszek W, Stochmal A, Kunert O, Bauer R. — J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 8;56(19):8885-90. Epub 2008 Sep 9.
The effects of dietary supplementation were found to significantly increase serum insulin levels in the absence of any fluctuations in serum glucose levels in some of the groups in this study.
– Effects of dietary supplementation with Yucca schidigera Roezl ex Ortgies and its saponin and non-saponin fractions on rat metabolism. – Duffy CF, Killeen GF, Connolly CD, Power RF. – J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Jul;49(7):3408-13.
Yucca contains steroid-like saponins, which produce anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-spasmodic effects.
– Some commonly fed herbs and other functional foods in equine nutrition: a review. — Williams CA, Lamprecht ED. Vet J. — 2008 Oct;178(1):21-31. Epub 2007 Aug 8.
Yucca is shown to have hypoglycemic, hypocholesterolemic, and antioxidant effects in this study.
– J Diabetes Complications. 2008 Sep-Oct;22(5):348-56. — The effects of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria on DNA damage, protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation, and some biochemical parameters in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. — Fidan AF, Dündar Y.
This study was undertaken to observe the effects of the blend of partially purified Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts on cholesterol levels in the human’s blood and gastrointestinal functions, and to determine if a new cholesterol-lowering drug can be developed by the further purification of the extracts. They found decreases in total and LDL cholesterol levels in blood plasma of hyper-cholesterolemic patients with enhancement in gastrointestinal symptoms of patients.
– Arch Pharm Res. 2003 Dec;26(12):1042-6. — Hypocholesterolemic property of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts in human body. — Kim SW, Park SK, Kang SI, Kang HC, Oh HJ, Bae CY, Bae DH.